If you are teaching foundation education at any level, you need to be qualified and on a continuing professional development journey.
You need to start this journey through the Teach Better Now programme available on Pathways Awarua.
At the heart of this is the new New Zealand Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (Vocational/Workplace) – the NZCALNE (Voc).
There is a cost for assessment and gaining the credential. But it’s free to register on the website and you’ll have access to all of the course content.
Here’s what you need to do to kickstart your foundation learning professional development journey for this year:
- Register on Pathways Awarua if you haven’t already.
- Join our virtual classroom.
- Enrol in the qualification.
- Get started on the coursework and first assessment.
FIRST: Register on Pathways Awarua
1. You need to register on www.pathwaysawarua.com as a tertiary educator. If you are already registered, then go to step 5 below and join our virtual classroom.
2. Enter your details in the form including a username and password.
3. If you start typing the name of your organisation or employer it should appear in the box. Then add a name for your class, accept the terms and conditions and click Register. If you are an independent contractor please use the code 8888.
4. Once registered you should see a screen like this below. Ignore the code on the right. This is for you to use with your own learners later. Right now you just need to click the link on the left for the new NZCALNE (Voc).
SECOND: Move yourself into our virtual classroom
5. Now you should see the main NZCALNE screen below. Next, you need to join our virtual class. Click the head icon to go to your account settings. If you’ve already done this you can go to step 8 and enrol.
6. Enter the join code 1622DD to join our virtual class. Then tick the box to move to this class.
7. Save your settings and return to the main NZCALNE pathway.
Third: Enrol in the NZCALNE (Voc)
8. Now you can enrol in the programme. Make sure that the enrolment module is selected. Then click start. If you’ve already enrolled and you’ve also moved into our virtual classroom, you can go to the last step.
9. Read through the enrolment information.
10. Fill in the enrolment form with as many details as you can. Then save and move to the next screen.
11. If you can’t fill in everything, you’ll see a screen like this below. But you’ll still be able to move forward. Just click the arrow on the right. Or click Retry to add more info.
12. From here, you need to show that you understand some of the conditions of enrolment. And you need to let us know if you have access to learners of your own and whether you’ve done other study at level 4 or above.
13. Nearly done… Add your employer and supervisor’s details.
14. Complete the self-assessment. There are two pages.
15. If you are an experienced TESOL teacher please add details here. Likewise, if you are a very experienced trades or vocational trainer with existing evidence and you want us to consider this please add details here.
16. Add your timeframe
17. Review the summary of your enrolment and save
18. Drag the box ALEC1 Admin to submit for comment
19. You’re done…! Click the link for the new NZCALNE (Voc) to return to the main course pathway.
FOURTH: Get started on the course
20. Get started…!