Hobby skills are skills too
Most of my career has been in education, but in recent times I’ve become increasingly aware of the need to diversify what Dilbert Creator, Scott Adams, calls my “skill stack”.
For me this has included taking a fresh look at some of my interests and hobbies including leatherwork (a new hobby) and music (an old hobby).
Hobbies keep you sane
This has also been important for my mental health.
In fact, I think I would have gone bonkers a few years back if I didn’t have some kind of creative outlet.
Added to all of that is the fact that, in the past year, I’ve made a lot of new friends through Twitter.
Both are men I have tremendous respect for. Check out the podcast episode above… we had a blast.
More on craft and craftsmanship
If you want more:
- I have an hour long talk on craft and craftsmanship which is streaming for free as part of the AionCon 2020 online conference. Details are here and here.
- I have an eBook out that expands on all of this and more which you can get here for $10 off the cover price.
- Hunter has an excellent YouTube channel focusing on men, masculinity and marriage here or you can find all of his links here.
- Nathan has a terrific blog here which I did a guest post for on creativity or you can find all of his links here.
And don’t underestimate the need for a good hobby
I know I did for a long time. Anyway, check out my stuff below…
How To Make Cool Stuff – 50 Minute Craftsmanship Masterclass & eBook
Embrace the Way of the Craftsman
Do you remember what it was like to hang out in your grandfather’s workshop? Do you want to know how to literally MAKE meaning in your life and the lives of others? Do you want to get in touch with the idea of doing a job well for its own sake?
Making, building and creating ARE thinking and you can learn to do it. You can learn a craft and even make the nice things that you want to have. Embrace the Way of the Craftsman and discover how today.
NEW – How To Make Cool Stuff now comes bundled with FREE 50 Minute Masterclass
- As well as this ebook and some other freebies, you’ll get my 50-minute masterclass – Exploring Craft and Craftsmanship
Read more here
CHECK OUT HOW TO MAKE COOL STUFF – LEARN NEW SKILLS, DO A GOOD JOB AND EMBRACE THE WAY OF THE CRAFTSMAN BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about How to Make Cool Stuff – Learn new skills, do a good job and embrace the Way of the Craftsman
Learn how you can kickstart your leatherwork hobby with the right tools for cheap
Make your own cool stuff out of leather
If you’re reading this it’s might be because you imagine what it’s like to make your own cool stuff out of leather. Just think of it… wallets, bags, all kind of accessories… There’s so much cool stuff to make. Here’s what you’re thinking right now:
- What’s something creative I can do that won’t break the bank?
- Do I really want to get started with leatherwork?
- What tools do I need to buy?
- How do I avoid spending too much money before I know whether I’ll like it?
Pay what you want for this short guide and I’ll answer all your questions. Read more here and check out SMITH BROS on Instagram.
CHECK OUT SMITHBROS LEATHERWORK QUICKSTART TOOLS GUIDE BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about Smith Bros Leatherwork Quickstart Tools Guide
Using Medical Scalpels for Craft and Leatherwork
Because an insanely sharp knife doesn’t have to break the bank
Everyone has their own idea about what to use for cutting leather and other materials. But we can all agree on one thing – a craftsman needs a good blade. Whether you’re starting out or not there is nothing worse than blunt tools.
- Are you tired of sharpening blades?
- Are you sick of snapping the tips off Exacto knives?
- Have you been wondering what to get to replace that rusty Stanley knife?
Pay what you want for this short guide to using medical scalpels for craft and leatherwork. Read more here
CHECK OUT USING MEDICAL SCALPELS FOR CRAFT & LEATHERWORK BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about Using Medical Scalpels for Craft and Leatherwork
Follow Smith Bros on Instagram
Follow Smith Bros projects on Instagram
Follow Smith Bros projects step by step on Instagram. I make all kinds of stuff from short, fun Sunday afternoon projects to much longer more involved work.
You’ll be able to see the exact tools and techniques that I use to create cool stuff that I love to make and use.