This probably won’t last long, but my short new eBook is currently the #1 new release in Literacy.
Yesterday it was #1 new release in Study and Teaching. I have photographic evidence…!
Thank you If you bought a copy…! Currently, it’s only available as a download. You can read it on your phone or tablet if you download the Kindle App.
Or there is also a Kindle Reader for your computer or a dedicated Kindle reader if you have one of those.
The eBook is part one of seven. It’s an updated version of the content from the professional development that I’ve been doing since 2006.
If you’ve done any of the NCALE (Voc), NCALNE (Voc), or NZCALNE (Voc) qualifications with me over the last 12 years you’ll find it updates the first part of those courses.
Specifically, this book focuses on the context for foundation learning including adult literacy and numeracy education.
One thing that’s different to how I’ve taught this in the past, is that I’m starting to look at this from a more international perspective.
Our work in Aotearoa New Zealand is world class and I think there is wider applicability.
There are four chapters:
- What do we mean? Definitions are slippery things. Here I look at what we mean by adult literacy and numeracy. And we look at different kinds of literacy and numeracy that you can tap into to teach better.
- What’s the difference? This is a short section, but I think it’s important to think about what’s different or the same about the different kinds of literacy and numeracy. People mean different things by the same words and it’s good to be aware of this.
- What’s under the hood? I also talk about some of the frameworks that can guide us toward better teaching. This includes approaches from different cultures that might be relevant to your learners.
- What’s causing the problem? Finally, I take a brief look at some of the factors that cause low levels of adult literacy and numeracy.
This is by no means the end of the conversation. It’s the start.
And I’m working on updating the second part covering teaching approaches which I’ll release next.
Here’s my overall approach, so you know how it fits together:
- CONTEXT: This book above.
- APPROACHES: Coming next. Watch this space.
- DEMANDS: How to use the Learning Progressions for Adult Literacy & Numeracy.
- STRATEGIES: How to design programme level strategies for embedding literacy and numeracy.
- BEFORE: How to design and use diagnostic assessments.
- TEACHING: Planning and delivering embedded adult literacy and numeracy.
- AFTER: How to measure progress.