How to make cool stuff by Graeme Smith
Book review by @romanastral on Twitter
Mr. Smith is a craftsman. He deals with crafts, which is unfortunately a dying tradition.
Well, Mr. Smith wants to bring it back and explains in detail why he not only wants to bring it back, but also why it would be a good thing for humans to do crafts, even if only for a hobby.
He begins with an introduction. He’s from New Zealand and even throws in some Maori.
Then he goes into the why’s before getting into the how’s. If there is no why, then why should we even bother with the how? Right?
Mr. Smith is a leatherworker. But, he only uses leather as the example. You can apply this to any craft, whether you’ll be using this knowledge as your trade or as your hobby, or even a side business.
I enjoy how you get to know Mr. Smith. He gives a little bit of his family background, including even an ad they used in the early 20th century for the lemonade and carbonated drinks that they sold.
- I think it’s imperative to know the why’s. Mr. Smith nails this. I’m a composer first and an artist second for instance. I can write a book on why. Can you?
- Detailed enough to understand leatherwork but vague enough you can apply it to any trade, craft, or hobby
- Pictures! I like pictures. You get an idea of what you can do
- Create, not just consume. Mr. Smith goes into intense detail about the mindset shift that some people will have to make before they can really apply these lessons
- Structure. I’m actually not that good of a reader and I had no problem reading this book pretty fast. It’s not too complicated and there’s not too much technical jargon.
- There’s only one thing I’d like to see more of, but then again, I’m wondering if this would require a whole different book. Mr. Smith barely touched the marketing aspect. So, you created good stuff. What do you do with it?
I think it’s a wonderful book for someone who’s even thinking of developing a craft, a trade, or even a hobby. He sets the tone for a mindset shift that will make your life much better. I strongly think that that’s something that’s missing today.
He also briefly touches on apprenticeship, which is yet another thing missing in today’s society. I like what I’ve accomplished so far in life, but if I actually had a mentor? Wow! The thought almost makes me sad.
If Mr. Smith’s book sells well and people take it seriously, I sincerely think we’d have a better world.
How To Make Cool Stuff – 50 Minute Craftsmanship Masterclass & eBook
Embrace the Way of the Craftsman
Do you remember what it was like to hang out in your grandfather’s workshop? Do you want to know how to literally MAKE meaning in your life and the lives of others? Do you want to get in touch with the idea of doing a job well for its own sake?
Making, building and creating ARE thinking and you can learn to do it. You can learn a craft and even make the nice things that you want to have. Embrace the Way of the Craftsman and discover how today.
NEW – How To Make Cool Stuff now comes bundled with FREE 50 Minute Masterclass
- As well as this ebook and some other freebies, you’ll get my 50-minute masterclass – Exploring Craft and Craftsmanship
Read more here
CHECK OUT HOW TO MAKE COOL STUFF – LEARN NEW SKILLS, DO A GOOD JOB AND EMBRACE THE WAY OF THE CRAFTSMAN BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about How to Make Cool Stuff – Learn new skills, do a good job and embrace the Way of the Craftsman
Learn how you can kickstart your leatherwork hobby with the right tools for cheap
Make your own cool stuff out of leather
If you’re reading this it’s might be because you imagine what it’s like to make your own cool stuff out of leather. Just think of it… wallets, bags, all kind of accessories… There’s so much cool stuff to make. Here’s what you’re thinking right now:
- What’s something creative I can do that won’t break the bank?
- Do I really want to get started with leatherwork?
- What tools do I need to buy?
- How do I avoid spending too much money before I know whether I’ll like it?
Pay what you want for this short guide and I’ll answer all your questions. Read more here and check out SMITH BROS on Instagram.
CHECK OUT SMITHBROS LEATHERWORK QUICKSTART TOOLS GUIDE BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about Smith Bros Leatherwork Quickstart Tools Guide
Using Medical Scalpels for Craft and Leatherwork
Because an insanely sharp knife doesn’t have to break the bank
Everyone has their own idea about what to use for cutting leather and other materials. But we can all agree on one thing – a craftsman needs a good blade. Whether you’re starting out or not there is nothing worse than blunt tools.
- Are you tired of sharpening blades?
- Are you sick of snapping the tips off Exacto knives?
- Have you been wondering what to get to replace that rusty Stanley knife?
Pay what you want for this short guide to using medical scalpels for craft and leatherwork. Read more here
CHECK OUT USING MEDICAL SCALPELS FOR CRAFT & LEATHERWORK BY GRAEME SMITH
Click the link below to find out more about Using Medical Scalpels for Craft and Leatherwork
Follow Smith Bros on Instagram
Follow Smith Bros projects on Instagram
Follow Smith Bros projects step by step on Instagram. I make all kinds of stuff from short, fun Sunday afternoon projects to much longer more involved work.
You’ll be able to see the exact tools and techniques that I use to create cool stuff that I love to make and use.