Watch this space!
We’re about to release our giant infographic poster highlighting the baseline knowledge for Embedding literacy and numeracy. It’s still under wraps and we’re just finalising printing, but here is some advance warning…
We’re close to going live with our latest online venture LiteracyNumeracyPro.com and one of the products that we most proud of is our giant mind map and infographic to support best practice for embedding literacy and numeracy. Here’s a few details.
What is it?
The Embedding Literacy and Numeracy (LN) Baseline Knowledge poster highlights key understandings, actions, and processes that you need to have in place to embed literacy and numeracy effectively into your teaching and training.
The poster summarises seven areas relating to best practice for embedding literacy and numeracy. These are:
- Context: This includes the importance of knowing your own context including current definitions for literacy and numeracy as well as reasons for the current low levels of adult literacy and numeracy.
- Good teaching: This relates to approaches and methods that are directly relevant to teaching your trade or content area.
- Mapping: This is about knowing the demands of your training.
- Diagnostic: Having a few effective diagnostic processes and tools allows you to better know your learners’ strengths and needs.
- Embedding LN: This is about knowing what to do – the delivery of explicit literacy and numeracy in your context.
- Assessing progress: Measuring learner skill gains and progress means you can tell if you are making a difference.
- Evaluating: Evaluating your effectiveness means looking back on what you’ve done, identifying what works, and then looking forward to what’s next.
Who’s it for?
We designed this giant infographic for a range of different people and purposes including:
- Tutors and trainers interested in embedding literacy and numeracy into trades, vocational, and other kinds of training.
- Managers, supervisors, and others with a vested interested in embedding literacy and numeracy into training.
- Educators involved in adult learning and teaching, and professional development.
- Organisations interested in a whole-of-organisation approach to literacy and numeracy.
In particular the Embedding LN Baseline Knowledge Infographic supports professional qualifications for adult educators including the National Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (Vocational/Workplace) as well as the literacy and numeracy infrastructure now in place in New Zealand.
Is it just a New Zealand framework?
We’ve contextualised this work to our particular situation in Aotearoa New Zealand through two case studies.
- One relates to our history including current initiatives and connection to Maori literacy and numeracy.
- Another concerns principles of good teaching. In New Zealand, we use indigenous Maori approaches to education and learning to inform best practice for adult literacy and numeracy.
While these examples come from New Zealand, the approach applies to any context and we would encourage you develop your own examples and case studies to fit the framework.
Interested in seeing the Embedding LN Baseline Knowledge infographic and poster? Let us know in the comments below.