By now you should have had some time to think about what’s causing the problem of low adult literacy and numeracy? Or at least, you’ve had some time to think about the factors that we associate with low literacy and numeracy levels.
Here’s what we’ve covered:
- The impact of colonisation
- Socio-economic factors
- Cycles of poverty
- Poor teaching
Let’s make some notes. As with the other sections, you might want to skip back and check on any details. But we also want you to think about your own learners. What do you see as the main factors associated with low adult literacy and numeracy?
Time to do some work
Let’s pause for a few moments. Here’s your task:
- Download the worksheet, or use the chart below to make notes on the different
- factors we’ve talked about.
- Can you think of specific examples for each?
- What’s the impact of each on your learners?
- What’s the wider impact of these on our country as a whole?
This task is not assessed, but it will help you with your assessment.