Read this if
- You are acting as supervisor or verifier for someone who is completing their NZCALNE (Voc) qualification.
- You need to sign off on the final piece of work that one of your tutors is about to hand it before completing the NZCALNE (Voc).
Download the guidance for supervisors or verifiers
This is all contained in one PDF you can download here below. The download shows a copy of the actual template as well.
What does the supervisor or verifier need to do?
If you are the supervisor or verifier for someone completing the NZCALNE (Voc), you need to discuss the review questions with the candidate and record your comments. You can use the template on the following page or adapt to your own purposes as you need.
Collaboration between the candidate and you to review teaching delivery is one of the requirements of the NZCALNE (Voc). It’s also good teaching practice. We can’t sign off on the whole qualification unless we have some evidence of this.
For our purposes, a supervisor may include any of the following:
- The tutor’s direct manager or programme leader.
- A colleague that is acting as study support person.
- Someone in management that has already acted as a supervisor or verifier for another part of this training and qualification.
To sign off the final assessment task, we need evidence that tutor and supervisor have reviewed the teaching and facilitation in several areas. The best way to think of these is in regards to three reflective questions:
- What are their strengths?
- What are some potential improvements for future delivery?
- How does any of this inform planning for the candidate’s professional development?
This review should be a friendly collaboration and two-way conversation. It could include teaching observation evidence, but it doesn’t have to. It’s not a performance review for internal promotional or salary review.
What do I have to do?
As their supervisor, we expect that you are already aware that the candidate is completing this qualification. You may have already verified your portfolio evidence for other parts of the course.
It’s the candidate’s job to:
- Make the arrangements to meet with you.
- Provide any evidence or assessment material you may wish to see in relation to this final assessment task or any part of the programme.
- Provide you with an electronic copy of the Supervisor or Verifier Comments and Checklist template.
- Negotiate how and when this template is completed by you.
- Return the completed template to us as part of their supporting evidence for this final assessment task.
As supervisor or verifier, it’s your job to provide us with:
- Your contact details including email and phone.
- Details of when this review took place
- Brief summary comments relating to the three reflective questions. As a guide, you might write one or two concise paragraphs totalling about 100 words for each of these. We won’t be counting words. Quality here is more important that quantity so feel free to keep it brief.
- Your signature and date of signing at the end.
Download the guidance here for supervisors and verifiers including notes showing where and what to write for your candidate: